Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On Substance...

If Im being honest, I have to say that I'm not impressed with myself: a thin man with very little depth. I struggle to maintain even basic relationship for the fear that the veneer may be sussed and I get 'found out' (I confess Im hoping this will be a 'me too' moment from you readers - dont let me down folks). Like many of my contemporaries, I hide behind an assumed identity. Mine happens to take a form slightly to the left, rather than assuming that anonymous facade the rest of our society comforts itself with. It would appear that theres safety in numbers.

I grew up aware the lack of substance inherent in our lives. We seem to live a semi-skimmed existence (thanx Douglas ;) ), fundamentally weak and unsatisfying. After looking for something with real depths, and through various adventures, I found something in Jesus. Resonant, pithy, satisfying, He teaches me wholeness...

I'm not wanting to preach though. I'm just trying to get over the fact that this uncommon, precious idea of matter really seems to matter lots. Its rare stuff.

A great victim/perpetrator is music: so much is tripe (both the secular and sacred! Im bored of the 'Christian music = crap' position though). But gems are like peanuts if you ask me - plentiful if your willing to sift through the poo. Heres a belated Christmas present of something with real integrity - Wovenhand. Meaty stuff (suitable for veggies like me), thats innovative rather than generic and honestly expressive instead of cowardly preaching. Something with a bit or real about it.

What say ye?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home